Tuesday, August 04, 2009

What my Autistic Son has taught me

Autism is a part of a person it does not define a person! So in our fast paced lives, our children teach us many things, sometimes you need to stop and think about the lessons. So here are some lessons that Duncan has taught me:

1). Don't dwell on what someone has done to you...live in the present (the here and now!) - this one can be hard to do, but Duncan re -enforces every day; the least I can do is try!

2). He takes things literally - make sure you phrase your ideas, wants, appreciation in a form he understands! - take your time before saying something so your are understood.

3). Stop and view the world differently - You'll appreciate it more. When is the last time you looked at a water tower and thought - that looks like a robot!

4). Some days unpredictability is the only predictable thing!

5). I am overwhelmed please take me some place peaceful - learn to see this in yourself and to find your inner peace or place to go to gather your thoughts.

6). I want to be social, I just do not know how. - Most adults do not know how to be social. Take the time to assess the situation and identify the proper opening or angle to help you or your child enter a social situation.

7). Kids are not stupid - Duncan's school friends and other closer friends (even his soon to be 2 year old sister) know he is different and reacts/ acts differently in situations. Address his siblings, extended family, school mates, friends; embrace his uniqueness; the kids do! I watched Duncan's classmates redirect him, make sure he was involved in the group and make sure he got his tasks done... better than I some days.

I know there are more but today this is what I recall

1 comment:

Sam Felsenfeld said...

Not only do we learn so much from them, we grow so much from them, too. Lil' Jack has had a huge impact on my wife and I, and his siblings will grow up to be better people as a result of his struggles.